Friday, June 24, 2016

Sonnet 130


Sonnet 130
Laijon Liu 20160624

My Mistress’ eyes that verses can’t describe
Coral is red but her lips may be purple or blue
Her breasts I haven’t seen, only my dreams draw
Her hair wire or splash that must be some bliss
Yeah, we men all buy and send roses, bore
But I think she prefers kales to blooms
And perfumes kill senses, less is more
So sitting beside her I know I’m home
I wish I hear her voice someday somehow
And praise her rap or growl, say: “O! Beethoven!”
I’ve seen so many goddesses sail, but
If my Mistress stomps, the Empire Tower sways.
So, by hell, I’m sure my love is rare
No matter how you dig and compare


Note:

This is a reply-poem to the Bard’s reply-poem to an original poet that learned from book [Art of Shakespeare Sonnet, page# 556] by Helen Vendler, great help!

Sonnet 130 by Shakespeare, a reply-poem

My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips’ red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress when she walks treads on the ground.
     And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
     As any she belied with false compare.

The Original Sonnet

My mistress’ eyes are brilliant like the sun;
And coral’s color matches her lips’ red;
Her snowy breasts are like to others none,
And golden wires ornament her head.
A bed of damask roses, red and white,
I find within the confines of her cheeks,
And perfume’s self, conferring all delight,
Breathes in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, and well I know
That only music hath such pleasing sound;
In walking she doth like a goddess go,
Her dainty feet scarce printing on the ground.
     In all,, by heaven I think my love as rare
     As any she conceived for compare.