Tuesday, March 27, 2018

NY Subway poems


NY Subway poems
Laijon Liu 20180327

I see you
staring at your phone
and feel pain in my neck

Penguins crowding
On the freezing platform-
Rush hour train late again

Straphanging sharks in dandy suits
With bowties or silk ties
On their way to kill

Orcas sitting on the train
Wearing top hats, bowler hats
Reading The Wall Street Journal

An old homeless man sits in the corner
His perfume smell like piss
He laughs and blows out cigarette smoke

I offered my seat
To a middle age woman
She asked me: “Oh, am I that old?”

I offered my seat
To an eighty year old man
He politely shook his head, stood proudly

Two young men fistfight
For their arm room
Poor unorganized idiots

Game of musical chair
To all that fortune, death and danger dare
Even for a seat

Trash and that smell
Oh, New York!
The things you hate and miss

Pandas blocking the doors
Pandas spread on the seats
Moody pandas, so moody!

I look around, smile and nod
Those young beautiful ladies
And they put on airs

42nd street is for tourists
Broadway musical, brand name stores
No New Yorker can afford

Subroadway Musical- Sometimes
You just wanna belt out on the train
or Yankee Doodle walk, or make whoopie 

Ride the number 7 Train
All the way to Flushing Main Street
You arrive at China

Look, green glass skyscrapers
Rise like bamboos after spring rain
Rich soil in Long Island City

People talk loud and fast
Mixture of Brooklyn Italian
Black hipster slang accents…

Variety of blooms
Variety of accents, languages, foods...
Variety at one place

Why travel?
You live in New York
The world comes to you

Note:
sorting and tidying up my notebooks, past undone notes that cannot be built into long pieces, most bits or scraps thrown away, or loaded up here like the The Old Pond, Words Samurai Sword, Magical Moon... or maybe all should go into trash bin.