Sunday, December 3, 2017

Reflection on Shadow Play


Reflection on Shadow Play
Laijon Liu 20171203

my book lamp casted my shadow onto the wall:
a dark human figure moving on a pale screen.

I stared at my shadow for a while
and I felt its blankness staring back at me

probably the wall found me and my shadow
more interesting than itself and its empty realm

I tried not to speak a word to the wall
and tried thinking of many other things as I stared

I tried not to move, not to disturb the stillness
but my momentary efforts could only last for so long

so I turned off the lamplight, the darkness swallowed
the pale wall, my shadow and my appearance

I turned on the lamplight again, and I said:
Let there be light.” and there my shadow on the wall.

I sat lotus-sutra, a shadow of meditating Buddha
appeared, folding his palms and praying

then I suddenly raised up my open hands
a dark monster with two claws was born

then I held my hands, formed a shape of heart
as the heart bloomed, it turned into a head of cobra

then a peacock appeared, walking, looking around
for a mate, and suddenly turned into a wolf with fangs

a dove like bird hovering on the screen
no, it was a hawk disguising, scanning for prey

and I looked around for a crown and a microphone
to empower my shadow, and I pulled out some bills

one dollar, one hundred dollar were same size
then I held my phone, my shadow shot itself a selfie

at that flashing moment, my shadow vanished
everything was blank, the world and the wall

I also thought about woman, a woman’s silhouette:
her floating tresses, plump hanging breasts, round hips

her infinite shapes and mine on the pale screen
totally made the wall sexy and alive

dancing pair figures, drama, fighting figures
like those ancient Egyptian and Greek wall art

and the kissing scene: shapes of two branch rivers
converge, join into each other, form a continent...

and I was tired of my hand shadow performance
my right hand swiftly turned into a pistol, pointed to

the head of lonely shadow figure.