Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Authentic Chinese Food in Flushing NY

Authentic Chinese Food in Flushing NY

My recently moved away friends are Sichuan raised, two brothers who can cook, make great dish. I don't remember how many times I told them to set up a small restaurant, or ask them to invite Anthony Bourdain to our weekend dinner table, we drink beer, I prefer Dark, so Guinness is the only thing I know and can afford, on a good summer day, popping a bottle of Guinness at my friend's dinner table is such blissful moment, a few plates of dish proves almost everyone from Sichuan could be a great chef.

it's chemical change. the thing about a great chef is he learns the herbs, spice, not only by his sense but by his mental picture. he just grabs a wee bit of spice and smell it, he then be able to construct certain flavor, fragrance and various tastes that combines with other elements under a period of heating process. that takes years of experience, a tradition culture learned from youth, and talents too I guess. like Sichuan, a chef works over 20 different spice, they are like painters.

most of good Chinese restaurants are gone in Chinatown, high rent increase that good small Cantonese are gone, only the big ones are standing, yet, they cave to American tastes, dump sugar in every dish, 1st, dumping sugar in a dish is Cheating. to a good food critic, sugar is just like drug. 2nd, expensive, bottom feeders like me would not even dare to step into the red golden restaurants, 3rd, the dish may not really be that good, truthfully speaking. and small family restaurants have their regional spice, let's say they may from Xian, Henan... when they grow fast, their food tend to water down in quality and quantity, so more or more like a fan fair, a trend of noises mostly made by young people who have no ideas what tradition is and never rooted or grown up in that tradition, like the Grammy Music Award, all good things are watered down.

But it's not good to be picky, especially a food critics, because he's seen all, been to every market, knows the ingredients by heart... basically, he can never be really satisfied. that's someone like my boss, a guy tried all the good dish for whole life and every lunch he would not even bother to read his stack of menu, and now everyday he cooks his own lunch :-) for real.

Me and my friend loves Anthony Bourdain show, very cool guy, humble and respectful to all culture and dish. A man who travels world meeting all people, and bringing their food onto our tv.

For over 10 years I ate at my friends' on weekend, they often brought some small dish from Flushing. Recently I took a photo of each place and dish we ate, load these photos, address and style here for ppl in new york who want some real authentic Chinese food. to honor the chef, and food that bring people and friends together. pick an afternoon, bring your family and try most of these places out, they are within 5 blocks range, only the authentic Taiwanese Cuisine in Elmhurst is for another day to reach. So let me be your Anthony Bourdain.

my rating: ****
there used to be some authentic Traditional rest. at the New World Basement Food Court, now many run be Chinese kids selling their Chinese version of Korean Barbecue, or just not very original. also when it comes to chef, I discriminate chef by their age, the older the better. all young ppl do is harry potter candies that you get all weird sense or not matured flavor. if I see a chef not over 50yr old, I just walk away :D that's right for Age Discrimination.

My Rating: ****and half

My Rating: ***and half

I like the fried radish nuggets. rest no.

It's Duck Soup, but taste like that ain't come easy. :) 4.5 Stars! O, poor duck!



The Lamb Soup is great. Must Try!

My rating: ***

---------------------------------------------

Authentic Taiwanese in Elmhurst, try the pork chop over rice.
my rating: ****