Thursday, July 31, 2014

A Small Fighting Bulldog

A Small Fighting Bulldog
Laijon Liu 20140731

I knew a small fighting bulldog when I was a kid
He was timid, proud, lazy and affectionate

but his mama told him the world was rough
and he must train hard and toughen up

so his father disciplined him with a leather belt
the programs they laid on him that he didn’t budge

he had never learned how to win a fight
but he could count beats and hold silence

his little dog house was warm, full of light
that tiny ring swallowed the dark wall corners

every spot was a center stage, anytime
could turn to a training bell ring

his surrender would not end the fight
he shook with fear til it all ended

that poor little bulldog, he loves me
he followed me from China to America

I pity him, and I try to shake him off
His tearing wide eyes begging for my hug

As my hands caress his scars of old and new
He suddenly bites back and runs to the corner

I couldn’t sleep, I couldn’t read,
I couldn’t talk to someone or start a meaningful relationship
Coz I see him, he wants my love
He shows me how to deal with bossy and bullies
He guides me how to fight
He is still timid, proud, lazy, and affectionate only to me
I love him, but I wish he is dead.