Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Shakespeare Is Number One (my favorite Sonnets)

I was drinking with my friend last weekend, often every weekend on the dinner table we talked about poetry, music, art film soccer, culture, politics, of course, 52% good liquor does draw such topic. and me and my friend compared some great poets, Chinese and English, I personally respect all of the poets, but I think Shakespeare Is Number One, even though I don't understand most of his drama and poems, often pronounce his name Shakesfear, my Chinese accent, also I don't read most or that many poets include the dead and alive, however I have a few Shakespeare Sonnets as my statement why the Bard is the one, so I translated a few of my 14 favorite sonnets here, I want to retain my Chinese translation copyright, because I think my version of the sonnets are most direct, correct, creative and blend of beauty.


SONNET 15
莎士比亚十四行诗 15

When I consider every thing that grows
当我思考每一物的生长
Holds in perfection but a little moment,
保持完美只是丁点瞬间
That this huge stage presenteth nought but shows
这宏大的舞台上演空虚却只现出
Whereon the stars in secret influence comment;
那繁星在暗中影响的栓释
When I perceive that men as plants increase,
当我认识道人如草木一样繁衍
Cheered and cheque'd even by the self-same sky,
被同一个苍天鼓励和督查
Vaunt in their youthful sap, at height decrease,
在青春的口水中夸耀,从高处退减
And wear their brave state out of memory;
他们勇茂的状态在回忆中破损
Then the conceit of this inconstant stay
因此这不能永恒停留的自负
Sets you most rich in youth before my sight,
在我眼前使你在青春中极其珍贵
Where wasteful Time debateth with Decay,
在这儿挥霍的时间与腐败论辩
To change your day of youth to sullied night;
将你青春的白昼变成污黑的夜晚
   And all in war with Time for love of you,
   为着你的爱,万物与时间争战
   As he takes from you, I engraft you new.
   当他从你那取走,我就给你嫁枝添新。

----

SONNET 112
莎士比亚十四行诗 112

Your love and pity doth th' impression fill
你的爱与怜将您的印象充满
Which vulgar scandal stamp'd upon my brow;
当庸俗的诽谤印记在我眉脊上;
For what care I who calls me well or ill,
我又为何去理睬旁人品论我善恶,
So you o'er-green my bad, my good allow?
因你把我的污迹涂青,德善肯定?
You are my all the world, and I must strive
你是我的一切,为此我总要奋斗
To know my shames and praises from your tongue:
去认识我的卑微和你口中的赞誉
None else to me, nor I to none alive,
我旁若无物,也不去管他人的存在
That my steel'd sense or changes right or wrong.
只凭我钢铁的意志或只为着对错而更改
In so profound abysm I throw all care
在纵深的渊底我抛却所有顾虑
Of others' voices, that my adder's sense
那些旁人的说道,还有我累计的敏感
To critic and to flatterer stopped are.
对于吹毛求疵阿谀奉承者截止。
Mark how with my neglect I do dispense:
记住我怎样籍著我的疏忽来安排:
   You are so strongly in my purpose bred
   你已经牢固的在我意志中诞生
   That all the world besides methinks y' are dead.
   就算这世界除我,都认为你已死去。




the following is a complete list of my favorite 14 Shakespeare Sonnets.

15, 18, 27, 29, 33, 50, 64, 65, 66, 73, 85, 91, 94, 112.