Friday, April 21, 2017

Hard Road (First of the Three Poem) by Li Bai



Hard Road (First of the Three Poem) by Li Bai
Laijon Liu 20170420

Gold cup and ten liter pure wine for ten thousand coins
jade platter served delicacies worth ten thousands too
but I put down the cup, drop the chopsticks, got no appetite
I draw my sword and look at surrounding blankly
Try to sail across the Yellow River
but ice seals its surface
Try to climb The Great Column Mount
but snow blankets everywhere
Or relax, drop a line fishing above the lime creek
But all of a sudden I again dream myself in a boat
rocking by the sun side
O, Hard Road, Hard Road
Everywhere there are hard rugged roads!
Where I’m at now? Where I can rest?
Steady wind breaks the waves, that should happen
Full sail into the clouds, to calm the troubled oceans!

Note:
I love this poem done by Li Bai, and I have read a few online translation done by fans, but seems not accurate. So I translate the whole poem here for readers to see Li Bai’s original composition style, his feeling, symbol terms meanings…

Chinese:
行路难(一)
李白

金樽清酒斗十千, 玉盘珍羞直万钱。
停杯投箸不能食, 拔剑四顾心茫然。
欲渡黄河冰塞川, 将登太行雪满山。
闲来垂钓碧溪上, 忽复乘舟梦日边。
行路难,行路难, 多歧路,今安在?
长风破浪会有时, 直挂云帆济沧海。