Monday, November 2, 2009

Yong Yu Yue (Forever Meet Melody)

Yong Yu Yue (Forever Meet Melody)
By Li Qingzhao (1084-1155)
Translate by Laijon Liu 20091103

Setting sun like melting gold
Rosy clouds blanketing the blue sky
Where is the one in my thought?

Willows painted green
Smoke rising from every house
I played the plum melody non stop
But the spring understood me not!

Ah, January Fifteenth again
Night lanterns all lighted
Weather mild and warm
But how can we be sure
There won’t be sudden rains and wind?

My friends came and greeted
Riding in beautiful wagons
To their drink feast and poetry club
But I declined their invite

Oh, I still remembered the holidays
In our state of the good old days
So many, I skipped
Yet only prepared for this Lantern Day

The emerald pendant on my hat
Gold twist and silver trim jacket
And all the colorful strap and belts

But now, with my haggardness,
And this wind blown foggy hair,
How could I go out at this night?

It would be better for me
To just sit under the blind
And hear other’s laughter and chat.

Note:
Some say this poem was composed when the poet’s husband lay in sickness in other state.

Chinese:
永遇乐
李清照

落日熔金,
暮云合璧,
人在何处?

染柳烟浓,
吹梅笛怨,
春意知几许?

元宵佳节,
融和天气,
次第岂无风雨?

来相召,
香车宝马,
谢他酒朋诗侣。

中州盛日,
闺门多暇,
记得偏重三五。

铺翠冠儿、
捻金雪柳,
簇带争济楚。

如今憔悴,
风鬟雾鬓,
怕见夜间出去。

不如向,
帘儿底下,
听人笑语。