Thursday, February 21, 2008

Huan Xi Sha 浣溪沙 - Qin Guan

Huan Xi Sha 浣溪沙 (Lyrical Poem)
By Song Dynasty Poet: Mr. Qin Quan (1049-1100)

Through the chilling misty fog
I stepped up to the upper chamber,
The annoying cloudy morning
Led to my feeling of late autumn,
Scarce smoke and flowing stream
Painted the screen a secluded picture.
In liberty the petal flying and falling softly
As the scene I'd seen in my dream,
Endless and tiny dewy drops of rain
Dripping ceaselessly as my sorrow,
My precious bed curtain were not in use,
And hanging on the small silver hooks.

Note:
Poet never mentioned the lady he missed,
But he uses terms of ‘upper chamber’,
‘Bed curtain not in use’ and ‘hung by silver hook’
To reveal that someone he misses dearly.

Chinese:

浣溪沙
秦观

漠漠轻寒上小楼,
晓阴无赖似穷秋。
淡烟流水画屏幽。
自在飞花轻似梦,
无边丝雨细如愁。
宝帘闲挂小银钩。